Transformative food systems governance and the environmental agenda: lessons from the national and city level
This IIED and UNEP webinar on Wednesday, 13 September will bring together global experts to discuss and present new evidence about how we can tackle the triple planetary crisis by using food systems governance as an entry point.
Evidence shows that food systems are major contributors, but are also critically vulnerable, to the triple planetary crisis of climate change, biodiversity loss and pollution. Yet, governance plays a critical role in sustainably transforming food systems. The way in which food systems are governed has direct consequences on how natural resources are managed and how ecosystems are functioning.
IIED and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), under the umbrella of the One Planet Network Sustainable Food Systems Programme (OPN SFSP), have published a discussion paper and a policy note to outline how food systems governance can contribute to advancing environmental agendas.
Drawing on seven OPN SFSP case studies on sustainable food system multi-stakeholder mechanisms across the global South and global North, these publications highlight how multi-stakeholder governance arrangements can accelerate policymaking around sustainable food systems.
This webinar will bring together global experts and local representatives to present and discuss the key findings of the research and the discussion paper 'Food systems governance and the environmental agenda' to inform future policy processes on food systems and the environment.
- Sharon Gil, head of cities unit, UNEP
- Giulia Nicolini, researcher, IIED's Shaping Sustainable Markets research group
- Juliette Lebourg, consultation officer, assistant to the inter-ministerial secretary, Conseil National de l'Alimentation, France
- María Teresa Nogales, founder and executive director, Fundación Alternativas, La Paz, Bolivia
- Alba Velasquez, executive director, Los Angeles Food Policy Council (LAFPC), USA
- Inoshi Sharma, executive director, food safety and standards authority of India, Eat Right India
- Matheus Alves Zanella, programme coordinator, Global Alliance for the Future of Food
How to attend
This webinar will use Microsoft Teams. Please, register here to attend.
Giulia Nicolini (email@example.com) is a researcher in IIED's Shaping Sustainable Markets research group