Researcher (locally controlled forest business), Natural Resources research group
Stephen is a specialist in tropical forestry with an interest in sustainable forestry management (SFM) using participatory forest management (PFM) approaches.
He believes using people-centred approaches like community-based natural resource management (CBNRM) can result in a win-win situation for people (ie improved livelihoods) and the planet (ie sustainable forests).
Sustainable forestry; community-based natural resource management (CBNRM); rural livelihoods; governance of natural resources.
- Business development manager for Africa, ClimeTrek Limited
- Senior facilitator – private investments, Gatsby Africa (Kenya branch)
- Project manager, Njoro community with Mau at Heart (Kenya)
- MSc in natural resources management, Egerton University, Kenya (2023)
- MSc in tropical forestry, Bangor University
- BSc in forestry, Moi University
Stephen supports the forest team with projects on forests and prosperity – including research, capacity-building and policy work in Africa, Asia and Latin America with a specific focus on forest enterprise and value chain development in African countries.