Forest Connect: linking small and medium forest enterprises to markets and services
Many small and medium forest enterprises work together in associations to reduce transaction costs, adapt to new market opportunities and shape the policy environment in their favour. But in least developed countries, support structures for such forest associations either do not exist or fail to reach those who need help most.
Small and medium forest enterprises (SMFEs) are critical to the poor. They generate local wealth, help to secure local resources and environmental accountability, promote local creativity and help to preserve indigenous cultures and market niches. But while the number of SMFEs starting up in least developed countries is high, keeping them going sustainably is a major challenge. They face problems such as too much bureaucracy, unstable policies and regulations, insecure land rights, lack of bargaining power, insufficient business knowledge and difficulties accessing credit, market information and technology.
Many SMFEs work together in associations to reduce transaction costs, adapt to new market opportunities and shape the policy environment in their favour. But in least developed countries, support structures for such forest associations either do not exist or fail to reach those who need help most.
The central aim of this alliance is to connect small and medium forest enterprises to national forest programmes (empowering SMFEs to be heard by policy makers), emerging markets (by supporting existing SMFE associations) and service providers (strengthening their capacity to provide training and finance).
- Supporting small forest enterprises: A facilitator's toolkit - DRAFT- Pocket guidance not rocket science! DRAFT - FEEDBACK MOST WELCOME TO: email@example.com
- Supporting small forest enterprises - a cross sectoral review of best practice
- Toward an enabling environment for small and medium forest enterprise development
- Vers un environnement favorable au développement des petites et moyennes entreprises forestières
- Appuyer les petites entreprises forestières : une revue des bonnes pratiques
We have also published over 20 reports on the role of small and medium forest enterprises in poverty reduction in the IIED Small and medium forest enterprise series
A range of workshop reports, presentations and articles are also available for free download: