CBA8: 8th conference on community-based adaptation to climate change
Over 400 participants from more than 60 countries attended IIED's 8th community-based adaptation to climate change conference (CBA8) in Kathmandu, Nepal, in April 2014, with hundreds more following the events and interacting via live web streamed video, comments and social media. The conference shared the latest developments in community-based adaptation financing, planning and best practices
Catch up on the highlights (including comments, blogs, social media coverage and more) from the three days of fields trips and four days of conference sessions of CBA8, and watch interviews below with speakers and participants.
The conference concluded with the launch of the Kathmandu Declaration on Financing Local Adaptation, which saw delegates call for a radical shift in flows of finance to ensure the most vulnerable communities can adapt to climate change.
Daily updates by IIED senior fellow Saleemul Huq
Full CBA8 coverage:
- A round-up, including participant views, experiences and photos, from the three days of pre-conference CBA8 field trips
- A round-up of the highlights, including discussion and debate, views and videos, from the first day of the CBA8 conference
- A round-up of the highlights, including questions, opinions and photos, from the second day of the CBA8 conference
- A round-up of the highlights, including discussion and news from behind the scenes, from the the third day of the CBA conference
- A round-up of the highlights, including the closing ceremony speeches and plans for the future, from the fourth and final day of the CBA8 conference
- View a gallery of photos from CBA8 on Flickr
- Check the programme of events to help you iidentify the sessions you are most interested in
- Watch a playlist of video daily updates with IIED senior fellow Saleemul Huq
- Watch a playlist of video interviews with conference session facilitators and delegates
- See a collection of Vines (short six-second videos) showing behind the scenes at CBA8
- Watch a playlist of the films submitted by CBA8 participants that were screened for fellow delegates at the conference
Video interviews with conference facilitators and delegates
Aims and objectives of CBA8
CBA8 aimed to consolidate and share the latest developments in community-based adaptation financing, planning and best practice in different sectors and countries globally by:
- Bringing together different stakeholders and practitioners to share and discuss knowledge of CBA financing, planning and best practice
- Enhancing the capacity of the most vulnerable groups and people, improve their livelihoods and integrate lessons learnt on financing CBA into local, national and international planning for development and climate change
- Sharing lessons learnt at the conference through the online event coverage
- Developing a minimum set of advocacy 'asks' for financing local adaptation.
Read more about community-based adaptation in this special issue of Participatory Learning and Action.