The 10th International Conference on Community-Based Adaptation (CBA10)
The 10th International Conference on Community-Based Adaptation to Climate Change (CBA10) focused on enhancing urban community resilience.
The focus of the 10th International Conference on Community-Based Adaptation (CBA10) to climate change, which took place in Dhaka, Bangladesh from 21-28 April, was 'enhancing urban community resilience'.
It concluded with a call for governments, NGOs and infrastructure investors to work with urban community federations to mainstream and finance local adaptation.
Closing speech by IIED senior fellow Saleemul Huq
On the final day of the conference, Huq summarised a series of concluding statements and outcomes from the conference. Watch his speech on IIED's YouTube channel or below.
IIED provided substantial coverage of the conference, including daily video updates by senior fellow Saleemul Huq on IIED's YouTube channel. Full details of the coverage can be found below.
- Conference proceedings: Community-based adaptation: enhancing urban community resilience
- Watch nine interviews with delegates and session leaders from the conference, including Ronald Mendoza, of the Philippines, who discusses building the resilience of SMEs after climate disasters, and IIED senior fellow David Satterthwaite on the challenges of implementing community-based adaptation in urban settings
- Watch a video address at the closing ceremony by UNFCCC executive secretary Christiana Figueres
- Watch a series of videos from the closing ceremony speeches, featuring the UNFCCC's Paul Desanker; Saber Hossain Chowdhury, MP and president of the Inter Parliamentary Union in Bangladesh; representatives of the youth conference; and Kamal Uddin Ahmed, Honourable Secretary of the Bangladesh Ministry of Environment and Forests
- Watch a series of videos from the speeches at the opening ceremony, featuring Abdullah Al Islam Jakob, deputy minister of the Bangladesh Ministry of Environment and Forests; IIED director Andrew Norton; Ruby Haddad of the Homeless People's Federation in the Philippines; and Omar Rahman, vice-chairman of the Independent University of Bangladesh
- Watch a televised 'Economic Talk' interview with IIED director Andrew Norton and Sarah Colenbrander on Bangladeshi station Channel 71
- Read a summary of the fourth and final day of CBA10, which included a detailed discussion about the values of the 'community' aspect of community-based adaptation, an assessment of the last 11 years of the conferences, and the closing ceremony
- See a round-up of the third day of CBA10, which included discussions on ecosystem-based adaptation, a presidential-style debate and a short film session
- Follow events as they happened on the second day of the conference, which looked at topics such as financing urban CBA, population dynamics, and how the private sector deals with urban resilience
- Read a round-up of the opening day of the conference, including summaries of the discussions during sessions
- Learn what happened when conference participants spent three days before the conference started going on field trips to see how Dhaka communities are responding to climate challenges
- Watch a photofilm illustrating some key quotes and images from all 10 international conferences on community-based adaptation, dating back to January 2005
- View a series of photos from the conference focusing on the discussions between participants, poster sessions and formal speeches, on ICCCAD's Flickr site
- Check the programme of events (PDF) to get more details on each session at the conference, and the identity of key speakers and panellists
- View posters submitted to a 'poster marketplace' summarising projects related to the conference theme on IIED's Flickr site, and
- View a range of photos from the conference on the Flickr site of the International Centre for Climate Change and Development
- Read a blog how Africa Climate Change Resilience Alliance approaches to tackle urban adaptation can help meet the recommendations set out during CBA10.
CBA10 is only the start of the conversation. Continue the discussions on social networks.
- Subscribe to a Twitter list of CBA10 attendees
- Get individual perspectives from the personal Twitter accounts of IIED's experts
- Join IIED's LinkedIn group on community-based adaptation, and share your views, experience and knowledge on exploring the challenges and opportunities of CBA with fellow practitioners, policymakers, researchers, funders and communities at risk.
CBA10 news and blogs
- News: International climate adaptation conference calls for governments, NGOs and infrastructure investors to work with urban community federations to mainstream and finance local adaptation
- Blog: CBA10 field trips: adaptation in practice
- Blog: Is community-based adaptation suited to cities?
- News: Are you coming to CBA10?
- Blog: Ten lessons on community based adaptation
The conference is organised by IIED with the Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies (BCAS), the International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD), and the Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB).
CBA10 aims to share and consolidate the latest developments in community-based adaptation practices, policy and theory across sectors globally. It aims to strengthen the existing network of practitioners, policymakers, planners and donors working on all levels of community-based adaptation, and enhance the capacity of practitioners, governments and donors to help improve the livelihoods of those most vulnerable to climate change.
- Find out more about previous CBA conferences.
If you have any questions about the conference or registration, email email@example.com.