Trustee vacancy (based within easy reach of London, UK )
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is an independent action research organisation that works to promote global social and environmental justice. IIED has an international board with representation of relevant experience and skills from all the major regions where we work or have important partnerships.
We are looking for a trustee with wide-ranging financial and risk management experience at board level and preferably with a background in sustainable and/or environmental or social impact investing, with a knowledge of the organisations, concepts and developments of this area of investment.
The ideal candidate will have, or develop, a very good grasp of IIED's business and will help steer the organisation through the challenges ahead. This position is a member of the executive committee and finance, audit and risk assessment committee (FARA).
The board delegates its powers in between board meetings to the executive committee to direct and govern the organisation effectively, to ensure legal and moral accountability, statutory compliance and managerial competence. FARA reviews financial and risk management at IIED and thus frees up time for the board agenda to discuss strategic issues.
- Extensive experience in financial, audit and risk assessment business
- Ability to display a clear understanding and interest in the mission, values and substance of IIED's work
- Extensive experience in strategy and management at board level
- Experience of the context within which international NGOs and think tanks operate, including especially those funded by combinations of government agencies, international institutions, private trusts and foundations, and private sector businesses
- Ability to dedicate sufficient time to the role, a minimum of seven days per year, including attending a two-day meeting in London twice a year in June and November
- Ability to develop positive relationships with management and board members, and
- Ability to work as part of a team taking account of the diversity and different cultures of board members.
The board is keen for the board as a whole to reflect the diversity of IIED's partners, networks and audiences.
Please download the trustee application pack for more information.
Applications: The deadline for receipt of applications is 5pm on Friday, 31 March 2017 (BST).
Applications should be in the form of a covering letter, with the applicant setting out how they fulfil the person specification for the role, and should be accompanied by a CV. The letter should be addressed to the nominations sub-committee, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations: People wishing to nominate other individuals are invited to submit a covering letter to email@example.com in support of their nominee by 5pm on Friday, 31 March 2017 (BST). The nominations sub-committee will decide whether to approach the nominee and invite them to apply.
Selection process: Interviews will take place during April and election will take place at the June board meeting.